Sunday, February 3, 2008


I guess before I start talking about where I'm going I would like to tell the story of where I have been. Here is my attempt of explaining why I  do what I do.  I don't remember what happened or what is was that caused it, but a few years ago I started to care for the poor and hurting. What started with one friend here going through pain just pointed to more pain the the world. I got involved with the organization One.org and from then on africa had a special place in my heart. Around that time my friend was hosting a benefit concert for the non-profit organization Invisible Children. I didn't go, but IC just blew up in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. In my eyes, I saw a trendy organization with a bunch of people who really could care less but just wanted to wear Africa on their clothes and tell me to watch a movie. So for the next few years I went on not caring too much about it. 
Last february I was on the Myspace page of a friend and saw a video for Invisible Children's "Tri Campaign" (video here). After seeing this video I knew that I had to get involved. I called around hoping and hoping to find a friend who could get me this movie. Finally, I found a copy Invisible Children: The Rough Cut, I took it home and watched it by myself on my couch. I didn't know what to think. I laid there just knowing that I couldn't continue being as comfortable as I was and not doing anything about it. For the next three weeks I was telling everyone (and I do mean everyone) that I know about these Invisible Children. I hosted so many small living room screenings, I could quote the whole movie within three weeks of seeing it. I started doing more and more and eventually hosted a screening at my church, The Village Church. Come June I learned about the chance to go on the road with IC, raising awareness at High Schools, Colleges, Churches,and coffee shops. I immediately applied and before I knew it I was on a plain to San Diego and about to travel the Pacific Northwest. We had three weeks to book a tour and head out on the road. I got to meet the most amazing people and never could have imagined what life could have looked like. So now, in four days I am back on the road. I hope there are my stories, thoughts and maybe some political commentary.

 

1 comment:

Lisa Allen said...

Hi sweetie pie!! I am glad to see that you are blogging! Thank you for your sweet prayers...I know that I have healed the way I have so far purely on Gods Grace and sweet prayers from my friends. Hey I don't know if you know about sitemeter but if not I would suggest for you to add it to your page...it definately helps track who is viewing your page and from where...I like it because some people just check in on you without saying leaving comments and some people from the other side of the world...basically it is just a cool tool to have on your page! Love you dude!Now I am going to go back and read your post...heehee

Site Meter